When two satellites collide, in Google Earth
Update 2009-02-14: Two ways to view this now.
- A Google Earth browser plug-in version
- Or the original KML file for regular Google Earth below
Use the time slider at the top of the screen to play the file back. The animation tracks the objects during the 6 minutes leading up to impact. Also included are the orbital paths (ground tracks) of the two objects between 16:00 and 17:00 GMT on February 10th.
Location data is based on the orbital elements for the two satellites, from Celestrak.
- Satellite Collision Debris Tracking in the Google Earth Plug-in
- Knee Deep in Satellite Debris
- Space Crash, Update
- The GPS Spider
- Interactive Spiders and Charts