Sun shaded SketchUp Models in Google Earth
In this example I took an overhead screenshot from SketchUp of a simple model of the Pyramids of Giza. Then mapped this image back onto the same model as a texture. This means that when the model was exported to Google Earth, render effects were included.
The Google Earth timeline uses a sequence of these models, with baked-in shading, to display a ‘sundial animation’, covering an eight and a half hour period.
Pyramids of Giza
- Terrain and 3D Buildings, under Layers, should to be switched off.
- This is one of those Google Earth files where once opened it’s a good idea to maximize the width of the time slider to load in all the files.
- Then minimize this once the green load icons (under Places) have disappeared
- Click the play button to view the animation.
- Repeat mode and playback speed can be altered in the time control options dialog via the white clock button