Needles Lighthouse, Google Earth 3D Model
An earlier lighthouse located on nearby cliffs proved unsuccessful, with sea fog often obscuring it. In 1859 the current Lighthouse, designed by James Walker was built on the outermost Needle.
The base rock forms much of the foundations – Storerooms and cellars are built inside the chalk. The irregular steps at the base are designed as wave breaks and diminish the effects of weathering from the sea.
The tower is concrete with a masonry facade and comprises five floors. Unusually for a British lighthouse of this era, the walls are completely perpendicular.
A helipad was added in 1987. In this file it’s possible to toggle-off the helipad option, to see the original lighthouse.