Jupiter, Cassini Time-Lapse Movie
This file creates an interactive 3d version of this movie by wrapping it around Google Earth as a series of time stamped image overlays, and using GE’s time control to enable playback.
Viewing the Animation
- After opening the file the time slider will appear at the top of the GE Window. Simply click the play button to the right of this to see the animation.
- The repeat mode and animation speed can be set in the time control options accessible via the white clock face icon.
- Additionally, I recommend switching off GE’s blue atmosphere effect: View -> Atmosphere.
Although the animation sequence is only 12 frames long, several features of Jupiter’s atmosphere evolution are visible:
- Counterclockwise rotation of the Great Red Spot
- Horizontal bands move at different rates
- Storms - the white ovals, rotate clockwise North of the equator and anti clockwise to the South
- Flashing spots. caused by Jupiter’s moons, Io and Europa passing in front of the camera
Images Courtesy - Nasa/JPL/University of Arizona
- Jupiter From New Horizons
- Solar System in Google Earth
- Full-Sky Temperature Maps in Google Earth
- Google Sky Constellation Boundaries
- Google Sky