Google Earth Browser, Mini Flight Sim
This is a miniature, arcade-type flight simulator which runs inside the Google Earth browser plug-in. Based around a much modified version of the Google Milktruck(!) demo.
The plane hugs the terrain, and the gas pedal is permanently down. Just use Left and Right cursor keys control it.
Click the following link to play. Enjoy!
Note, the Google Earth Plug-in currently works in these web browsers and operating systems:
- Windows: IE 6.0+, IE 7.0+, Firefox 2.0x-3, Netscape 7.1+, Mozilla 1.4+, Flock 1.0+
- Mac OS X (Intel and PowerPC): Safari
- The airplane starts by buzzing the Googleplex.
- 3D buildings are on.
- Type any address in the location box to teleport elsewhere.
- The small window size is an attempt to keep on top of new terrain loading in.
- The plane is my own lightweight (60kB) 3D model of a Hawk training jet as used by the UK’s RAF air display team the Red Arrows.
- If you fly off the top of a mountain the plane might disappear briefly. This is a GE/model altitude display limitation – kicks in at a couple of hundred metres above ground.
- It sucks up internet bandwidth like there’s no tomorrow, so don’t forget too close the page after you’ve finished with it!