Global Cloud Animation
The animation comprises 20 image overlays, at approximately 12 hour intervals. These are half resolution versions of the cloud map used in my live cloud layer.
A script running on my server downloads the cloud files produced by xplanet.sourceforge.net (based on near-live GOES, METEOSAT, and GMS satellite imagery), adds transparency to these, and updates the timeline twice a day. I’ve labelled each picture in the file with a timestamp, enabling you to see exactly when each was generated.
- To rapidly download all the cloud images into this animation, expand the time slider to maximum:
- Then minimize it once everything is loaded in:
- Start the animation by hitting the play button.
- Playback options, including speed settings, are accessible via the white clock icon.
The images are stored individually on my server so the first time you open the file, the download may take a while longer than a normal 5MB download.
- Live Cloud Layer
- Live Global Clouds for Google Earth
- Monthly Global Cloud Sequences in Google Earth
- Global Cloud Animations Update
- Google Earth Cloud Animation, June 2007