Flight Route Maps for Australia and New Zealand
Here’s a couple more of these Google Earth, Interactive Flight Route Maps. Australia, including 171 airports, and 875 scheduled domestic routes. And one for New Zealand with 36 airports and 193 flight paths.
New Zealand Flight Map (50kB)
Australia Flight Map (300kB)
These operate on exactly the same principle as the flight map for the UK and Ireland. Simply open the file with Google Earth, and roll the mouse over an airport to see all the routes from it appear on the map. Click on an airport icon for more details.
All the airport destination data for this is sourced from Wikipedia, so don’t rely on it being 100% accurate.
I made a handful of modfications to these compared with the previous visualization:
- Flight profiles differ in heights according to their length. The longer the route the higher it is.
- There’s extra information in the pop-up balloons: Airport names, ICAO codes, IATA codes, and links to the source Wikipedia articles.
- Yellow Icons indicate airports for which Wikipedia doesn’t yet have a flight destination list. My script fills in the missing information for these by scanning through all the outbound destinations from other airports and assuming the same airline flies back to where it came from. In some cases, e.g. circuit routes, this will throw up false information.
- UK and Ireland Flight Maps
- Flight Maps
- 2200 Biggest Airports in the USA
- Google Earth - Complete US Air Routes
- Google Earth Flight Path Animations II