City of London Growth Timeline
The buildings are stylized, untextured SketchUp models (fairly basic to ensure smooth playback). Which I’ve animated during their construction and demolition by gradually being scaled upwards, and downwards.
For reference the file includes an optional, low-rise massing model, this is a simple extruded vector map of the City’s current buildings.
Recommended Playback Settings
- Toggle off Google Earth’s 3D Building Layer (under ‘Layers’) - these buildings get in the way of the animation.
- To see the model at various points in time, either hit play (to the right of the time slider), or drag the time slider by its base.
- Animation speed can be varied via the time slider option settings, accessed through the white clock face to the left of the time control.
- Unfortunately, the animation flickers the first few times it’s played. This is due to the way Google Earth loads the models individually into memory.
- London Eye, Millennium Wheel Animation
- Daylight Hours, Timeline
- Applying Eye Shadow to Google Earth
- Google Earth Imagery Updates